Monday, October 1, 2007

Thing 2 - RSS and Feed Readers

'ello Again,

So I just finished up with 'Thing 2 - RSS and Feed Readers'. RSS and feed readers enable you to check the new headlines and news of your favorite websites by visiting a single site. This saves time as you only have to check one site rather than several of them. In theory this is a great idea but I find that in practice I prefer checking each individual site. With high speed internet what it is, I don't find that RSS saves me that much time. Also, the sites that I look at are updated, at the very least, daily and most are updated several times a day. This means that if you were to check your RSS once a day, you would still get a whole list of new headlines.


Where I find that RSS and feed readers to be the biggest help is in the mobile market and on computers with slower connections. Smart Phones are great but lets face it they aren't built for high speed internet surfing (yet). It really does save a ton of time, only checking one site, when your connection is slow. Some phones today even come with feed readers built into the firmware to make it easier.

For me, I'll stick to checking my favorite websites the old fashion way (yes I put websites and old fashion in the same sentence, ha).

On to 'Thing 3'

Cheers!

3 comments:

rich said...

yeah, there's something nice about actually seeing the website instead of just looking at the content via a reader. you can't appreciate a website's layout and design via a reader, so i try to use my reader but still visit actual sites once in awhile.

rich said...

btw, i just noticed we have the same poll up! i guess that's on a lot of people's minds lately

Karen Soto said...

Love your poll--I need to add one to my blog :>